Call Us Today

(888) 482-2816

USA Permanent Residency

Permanent Resident Card commonly called a "Green Card"

Handling Permanent Residence (Green Card) Petitions

Permanent residence also known as a green card, provides many advantages for foreign nationals who want to live and work in the United States. As a permanent resident, you will have the right to live and seek employment in the United States, while retaining your citizenship of your native country. You will also have the freedom to visit your home country and return to the United States whenever you wish.

Scott M. Beller & Associates law Firm located in Chicago, represents clients throughout the United States and around the the nation.

Over the past 30 years, Attorney Scott M. Beller has helped hundreds of professionals and skilled workers reach their goals for permanent residence in the United States.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is another name for a U.S. Permanent Residency Card. It gives you official status as a lawful permanent resident of the United States. To become a permanent resident an alien requires a sponsoring employer or a qualified family member to petition the USCIS for an immigrant visa to establish a preference category for the alien.

A green card gives you most of the same rights as a U.S. citizen, with two notable exceptions:

  • A green card does not give you the right to vote.
  • You are subject to deportation through a removal proceeding if you commit certain types of crimes.

You can become permanent resident through family members, through a sponsoring employer or a qualified family for immigrant visa petition to the USCIS. The United States promotes family unity and allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to petition for certain relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. There are several different categories to obtaining a green card, for each category will depend on if you are currently living inside or outside the United States.

Paths to Permanent Residence: Family-based immigration

  • Through immediate relative of a U.S. citizen
  • Through a family member of a U.S. citizen
  • Through a family member of a permanent resident
  • Through a member of a special category

Employment-based immigration

  • Highly skilled workers, those with extraordinary ability in certain professions.
  • Investors/entrepreneurs are given priority to immigrate through several immigrant categories.
  • Employment-creation visas, based on investment in the U.S.

Refugee or Asylum Status

Asylum-based immigration based on fear of persecution if you return to your native country

Refugee status

If you were admitted as a refugee, you are required by law to apply for a green card (Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) in the United States 1 year after being admitted as a refugee.

Refugee status is a form of protection that may be granted to people who meet the definition of refugee and who are of special humanitarian concern to the United States.

Refugees are generally people outside of their country who are unable or unwilling to return home because they fear serious harm.

You may seek a referral for refugee status only from outside of the United States. For more information about refugees, contact Immigration attorney Scott Beller at (312) 782-4800 or email at, phone calls and e-mails will be answered promptly, Immigration Attorney Scott Beller will guide you through every stage of your legal process.

Green Card Through Asylum

If USCIS granted you Asylum status, you are eligible to apply for a Green Card (Permanent Residence) 1 year after receiving your grant of asylum. Your spouse and children are also eligible to apply for a green card if they were admitted to the United States as asylees or were included in your grant of asylum. You may be eligible to pursue a green card under more than one immigration category.

There are other special adjustment programs to obtain a green card permanent residence, are limited to individuals meeting particular qualifications and/or applying during certain time frames.

As your immigration lawyer Scott M. Beller will help you select the category that offers you the greatest chance of success to obtain permanent residence (green card) in the USA.