Call Us Today

(888) 482-2816

H-1B Visas

Guiding You through the Visa Process

Visa Process

One of the most common employment-based U.S. visas is the H-1B. This visa is used by foreign nationals in specialty occupations who want to be employed temporarily in the United States. Examples of specialty occupations are computer workers, accountants, religious workers, health care workers, engineers, scientists, business managers, artists and performers. H-1B visas are issued for up to three years but may be extended to six years, and in some cases longer.

Attorney, Scott M. Beller has an extensive experience working with employers and employees to meet their employment-based immigration goals. From his law office located in Chicago, he represents employees and employers throughout Illinois and the nation.

To obtain an H-1B visa, there must be an employer to sponsor you. The United States issues a 65,000 H-1B new visas each year. There are an additional 20,000 visas available for those who have obtained a Master's degree or higher from a U.S. institution.

If you have already obtained an H-1B visa counted against a quota, you would not be subject to these quotas in transferring to another employer.

Do I Need a College Degree to Obtain an H-1B Visa?

H1-B visa holders must have at least a bachelor's degree or equivalent. Experience in a specialty occupation can substitute for a college degree.

Can I Obtain a Green Card?

You can apply for permanent residency (a green card) if an employer will sponsor your application. As your attorney, Immigration Attorney Scott M. Beller can help you select the most appropriate immigration category for permanent residency.

Other non-immigrant work visas:

If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen, you can also apply for a TN work visa. Other immigration options may be available depending on your occupation and qualifications.